Late Roman fortress
The Late Roman fortress of Iatrus is situated at the mouth of the Yantra River near the village of Krivina, Ruse region. The fortress was researched by Bulgarian-German team between 1958 and 2002 with periodic interruptions. Burials dated to the 4th – 3rd century BC and remnants of settlement dating from the 3rd century AD were discovered at the site. Five settlement periods of the fortress dating from the first half of the 4th century AD to the 6th century AD were differentiated. Fortification walls with gate and towers, headquarters, streets, barns, barracks, three early Christian basilicas and a bath were uncovered. A Bulgarian settlement existed there during the 8th – 10th century AD. North of the fortress in 2003-2006 a Bulgarian team investigated a large-scale Roman military complex for lime production dating from the end of the 1st century AD. It was preceded by a Celtic type pottery kiln with a bread oven which was in use around the new era.